Friday, November 14, 2008

The pregnant "man"

Thanks to Mindi for announcing the revelation that the pregnant "man" is once again pregnant, I've now found myself glued to the television watching the 20/20 special on him this evening.

Did you know:

  • He's not a man, he's a woman. So why call him the pregnant man?
  • They bought sperm off the INTERNET and injected it themselves with a syringe from the pet store because no doctor would take their case.
  • They got a LOT of negative publicity, hate mail and threats, yet they've decided to "inseminate" themselves again just 3 months after the birth.
  • The "non-biological mother" of the baby claims her body began changing when her "husband" became pregnant, including spontaneous lactation, because of which allows her to breastfeed. Um, I think not.
  • This "man" is not the first transgender man to give birth to a baby. He's just the first to go public with it.

They both make me sick, really. I'm not trying to offend anyone, but honestly, this world is turning into one big side show! If they want to have a baby, have one, I don't care...just don't announce it to the world. They are asking for drama and reaction, but then act surprised when there is negative response to their life choices. Come on.

When being interviewed together, they try to come across so cutesy, like they have this amazing story to share with the world. All I can think of when I look at both of them, is that they need professional help.

Ick!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I so agree!! Just beause you have your breasts removed that does not make you a man. Just because you take hormones to enlarge certain things to become other things, that does not make you a man. He's gross!!

KJH said...

ITA!

Anonymous said...

I think this story is amazing and regardless of what people label him, he identifies with being a man. Most of us identify with our "assigned sex" but with transgender individuals, they tend to assimilate to the opposite sex (and not necessarily changing their sexual orientation). Being transgender is not a mental condition, nor is it something that a transgender individual can ignore (they are valid feelings of one's identity and individualism). I think it's cool that they have been open to sharing his story and that this couple hasn't let negative societal barriers prohibit them from starting a family.

caroline said...

Megan, I understand your point of view and *kind of* agree with it, which is why I said "if they want to have a baby, have one, I don't care" ...and that's because I believe everyone has the right to have children (well, wait, that statement might have some exceptions to it). However, what bothers me is the way they come across. To me they are in it for the shock factor, money, etc. He/she is not the first transgender man to have a baby, but the first to come public with it, along with the somewhat disturbing photographs of his pregnant "male" body. Trust me, they've made a loooot of money off of the exploitation of this pregnancy...