on this very day, I got a heart stopping phone call.
My sister was missing.
After walking out of the presidential polls on election day, I answered my ringing phone only to hear that my sister was missing, no one knew where she was, she never picked Andy up at school the day before, and there was no sign whatsoever of where she may have gone. Her apartment was unscathed, her work was wondering where she was, and most importantly, her son was left alone. Andy was alone. We're in Ohio, they were in Arizona.
I remember hanging up that phone call and called Scott in hysterics. Where in the world could she possibly be? In my mind, the only answer was dead, because she is an awesome, unbelievable sacrificing single mom to Andy and would never just leave him. Never. The only possible answer in my mind was the very one I couldn't begin to even think about.
In a few days time, we did learn the truth. She wasn't dead. The truth was that she cracked. She couldn't handle her life anymore and had to make a drastic change. And that she did. She packed one small little bag from her apartment and left while Andy was at school, not telling a soul. Leaving her little 9 year old boy to fend for himself, she moved herself to Australia.
The happy ending to this story is that my parents got custody of him after a complicated and emotional battle with the state of Arizona. He is thriving. He is the sweetest, most compassionate and caring, responsible 13 year old young man you will ever meet. Madison and Nathan adore him like a brother. Their faces light up each and every time they see him. You would never guess he's been through so much in such a short life. And despite the fact that my parents were on the verge of retirement and moving to Florida, they've given up all of that, without the slightest hesitation, to raise their grandson. Not exactly an easy feat! But something that will never go unnoticed or unappreciated by more than just Andy himself.
I haven't spoken to Jennifer since 2 weeks before she decided to start her new life. I have lost my sister. Despite all that has happened, I love her and miss her. I think about her often and hope that she's found what she was looking for. When I find myself thinking about her, I try to distract myself because the reality of the situation is absolutely heartbreaking to me. There's no closure because she is still out there, somewhere.
Maybe one day she will decide to reunite with our family. Who knows. So much has changed. She has 3 nephews and a niece that she's never met. Her son is looking more and more like her everyday. Seriously, he's almost the spitting image. I can't tell you how many times I look at him and just see Jennifer. At least we have that.
5 comments:
That is so hard. Sometimes it is really difficult to understand what makes a person make the decisions they make. Life sure can be tough. I'll pray for her safe journey home and for some peace.
Caroline, I have known you for almost four years, but I never knew this! I am so terribly sorry and can't imagine how hard that time was...and still is, everyday that she is gone. Your family's love, generousity, and acceptance is extraordinary and I'm sure you all feel like you are the lucky ones to have Andy in your lives.
I stand firm in the belief that we are not dealt a hand we cannot handle. Andy is one lucky boy to have such AWESOME family :)
Thanks for your kind words, ladies! :) It means a lot!
Khrystin- this all happened right after I met you, so I guess by the time we truly became friends, it just never really came up. That surprises me though! Speaking of just meeting you...you were about to burst....Brennan's bday is one of these days, isn't it? Wait, was it yesterday? Happy 4th birthday, big boy! :)
I remember you telling me that Andy was alone and your sis was nowhere to be found. Andy truly is amazing and you and Scott do so much to help your parents with him. He really is lucky to be surrounded by such a great family.
Post a Comment