that I missed blogging yesterday. So sorry to let my loyal readers down. :) Ha!
My brain feels fried at the moment and I don't feel as if I have anything to talk about that is even remotely interesting. It is a Friday night and I'm studying. Does that tell you anything?
Today at clinical, I was sent to observe in the EGD lab. It's always fun to observe in other areas of the hospital because I see areas and types of nursing that I would never even think about. There truly are so many different areas of nursing to get into. The list is endless and the opportunity for variety is definitely there.
The EGD lab is specifically for patients having an endoscopy or colonoscopy done. And yes, I firmly believe after my experience today, that I could safely perform a colonoscopy on my own. I watched THAT many. If you've seen one colon, you've seen them all, right?
Fun fact for the day: a colon scope is about 6 ft long. :)
I was sadly surprised to see the doctor quite insensitive about the pain and discomfort the patients were experiencing. He was more concerned with his time schedule than if the patients were even sedated yet! A poor 18 year old boy was having an endoscopy (scope down the throat to examine the esophagus, stomach, and beginning of small intestine) and before the drugs kicked in, the doctor shoved the scope down his throat. The young man began gagging and fighting the scope and ended up ripping it out. Only then did the doctor sedate him more. Gee, you think? Similar things happened with colonoscopies as the morning progressed. I felt absolutely terrible for the patients. It was a good lesson to myself to try to avoid becoming desensitized, as a nurse! It is my job to advocate for the patient and I so wish I could've done that today.
Onto happier things. When I got home, my baby's were so excited to see me that they began fighting and crying over who got to me first and who got my attention first. Ahhh, to be loved.
3 comments:
I did notice the missing blog as well...you do get 3 passes for the month!! :) That means I still have one left.
So...when you say you would feel comfortable performing a colonoscopy on your own. Do you mean on your own colon?? Yikes!
No, I meant on YOUR colon!! Need one?
Post a Comment