Monday, October 6, 2008

Help a momma out!

This is a shout out to all experienced moms out there. Actually, even inexperienced moms can give me insight... Oh, forget it, ANYONE reading this blog must give me a suggestion to stop the madness. Yes, that even means you, Megan, my dear friend who may possibly never be "ready" for kids (and no, the answer can not include Benedryl or sleeping pills in it...)

Up until a week and a half ago, Nathan was my little sweetheart. Easy going, laid back, calm. And although he didn't start consistently sleeping through the night until he was 16 months old, he was always the easiest baby to get to sleep. In fact, I always put him to bed wide awake and he would get himself all cozied up, look at me to say goodnight, and drift off into dreamland. Well, those days are no more.

Out of the clear blue yonder, he woke up in the middle of the night calmly and sweetly calling my name. I went in to see what was wrong and the boy has not gone back into his crib without a fight since! Naptime, bedtime, middle of the night...you name it. He screams, kicks, jumps, turns blue in the face. Will NOT go to sleep. Scott discovered that if we offer to hold his hand while he lays in the crib, he will at least lay down, and then eventually fall asleep. But let me tell you, that sucks! It's now become a requirement for bedtime rituals. So after books and snuggling, I'm forced to sit on the floor, hunched over hiding behind the bumper pad so as not to stimulate him, sticking my contorted hand through crib railing until my precious child falls asleep. Not fun. And now? He wakes 2-3 times every night...and each and every time he wakes, I'm in his room for 30 minutes trying to get him back to sleep. Makes for a very grumpy mommy!

One night last week after a long night of studying, Nathan with his mommy radar, woke up literally as my head hit my pillow. I'm trying to convince myself that the next 30 minutes of holding his hand while my arm muscles are burning, should be cherised for what it is. How long will Nathan want to hold my hand to fall asleep, right? The answer to that one, my friends, is TOO LONG. Three hours later, and a transition to the guest room bed together, Nathan finally decided it was time to sleep. Was he on his side of the queen size bed? No! He was completely snuggled up next me so that I was forced to lay like a stick indefinitely in fear of waking him. JUST as I fell asleep along side him, I hear Madison calling out to me from the next room from a nightmare.

"Mommy!"

Scott will hear her, don't move.

"Moooommmmmyyyyy!"

Yes, Nathan is starting to stir, but Scott will hear her, don't move.

"Mommmmy, Mommmmmy, Mooooooooommmmmmmyyyyy!"

If Scott doesn't get up, I might have to hurt him.

"Mommy, I'm scared! Mommmmy!"

Crap. Well I hope you're enjoying your blissful beauty rest, Scott!

I must've spent 8 minutes trying to get away from Nathan without him feeling or hearing anything. Just as I walked around the corner into Madison's room, Scott comes stumbling by to "help".

Back to sleep I go, only to be awoken 3 measly hours later for the day.

So, not only does he not want to go to sleep normally anymore, he's just grumpy, cranky, needy, clingy. I've resorted to taking him to the pediatrician, hoping beyond hope that he has an ear infection and that is the source of all our problems. Nope! Clear ears, clear throat. Nada!

So I'm asking you, blogger world, WHAT is wrong with my 19 month old baby?? I'm not gonna lie, complete sleep deprivation and Nursing school do NOT go hand in hand!!

4 comments:

Jen said...

He was his normal cute, enjoyable self when I saw him yesterday;-) I wish I had some advice for you-- I guess maybe just hold onto the hope that it's a mysterious teething issue and goes away as quickly as it came. Hang in there!

Anonymous said...

I would say he wants to move to Grove City...just kidding!! I have tears in my eyes from laughing...thank you for that!!
I also always go to the teething answer. I will cross my fingers!!

Meems said...

Josh is crying right now, so I've got no advice for you. With him it is for sure the teething thing.

Hayley said...

I'm telling you, it's the room! You need to give Montel and Sylvia Brown a call!