I saw the scariest thing today. I was driving along, 40 mph, busy 4-lane road, when all of a sudden I saw a little boy...as in, smaller-than-Nathan-little, toddling next to the road with NO adult in sight. As I flew by, my heart jumped into my throat, scared to death for that little boy. I swung my car around as soon as I could, drove back in that direction, only to find some older kids walking him back up towards the yard, away from the street. Still no adult in sight. So, I turn the car around again to head back towards my original destination, and there he was again. Back down by the road, completely unsupervised!! I just about screeched to a halt to stop in front of the house, and just then a little girl, all of 6 years old, comes running down to get him. Waaaay up the 250 ft. long driveway, a woman stops cleaning out her van and comes walking down to see what is going on. I got her attention and told her that I've seen him next to the busy street twice in the last 2 minutes and that perhaps she should keep a closer eye on him. Her response?
"Excuuuuuuse me?"
"Um, I've passed by here twice in the last two minutes and both times he was dangerously close to the road. Perhaps you should keep a better eye on him!"
She went on to say something along the lines of "this is none of your business" and flipped her hand up at me as if to say "whatever!" and walked away with him in her arms.
The scariest part? She has a big sign in her front yard advertising her childcare business. So this most likely wasn't even her own child!!! You have no idea how badly I wanted to sit in her driveway until the parents came to get their kids, to let them know that cleaning out her van was more important to her than their precious 1 year old baby.
I'm thinking of reporting her. I certainly would want it reported if that was MY child toddling by a 4 lane busy road unsupervised, wouldn't you?
3 comments:
You totally should...especially after her response to your genuine concern. I'd want to know if that was my child.
That's what I said...definitely report her. How very scary, but good for you for speaking up.
I don't know how these crazy things happen to you...maybe your connection with Hayley...but, yes, I would report her.
Post a Comment