Wednesday, August 26, 2009

The interview

Being that I've been a stay at home mom for the last 6 years, I was more than a little nervous to be venturing out into the job world again, now that I've graduated. Of course, entering the work force means....dum dum dum....INTERVIEWING!

I don't like interviews. There's not much more to say, I just don't like them. And being as rusty as I am, I was terrified when I received a call from our Children's Hospital in town to come in for one.

Unfortunately, Columbus is the ONE city in the entire nation that does not have a shortage of nurses. In fact, we have too many. A large handful of nursing schools have popped up here in recent years, now spitting out approximately 800+ nurses into the Columbus market every June. I knew there was a possibility that I could struggle to get a job, and I was fully prepared for that. Thanks to that fear, I was extremely grateful and thankful for the opportunity of this interview, and a large thanks goes to a friend who put in a good word for me.

The interview was scheduled for the day before my Texas trip. As if I didn't have enough nerves already! Ha! The initial interview went well, but just when I thought I was done, I was presented with an immediate second interview, this time with two faces staring at me from across the table! Oh, the nerves!! I walked away not sure how my first impression came across. I was made aware that I was the first of the interviews for this position, so I could be waiting a few weeks to hear anything.

Fast forward 3 weeks...I get a phone call today from HR. I answered the phone and listened to her speak, thinking she was going to tell me they filled the position or they would like me to come in for another interview. I was wrong.

They extended me an offer and I accepted!! I will be working 3 nights per week on the GI/Surgical floor at Nationwide Children's Hospital, starting mid-September. Yipeeee!! I'm a nurse!!

2 comments:

Meems said...

Oh my Goodness. I am so excited for you!!! I went back and read all of your new posts. Your summer seemed fantabulistic.

Hayley said...

Diggin' the word 'fantabulistic'! Oh yea...and the fact that you are EMPLOYED!!!!! WOO HOO!!!