Friday, August 21, 2009

The dreaded NCLEX

My entire nursing school career focused on not only curriculm to make me an efficient, safe and knowledgable nurse, but also to prepare me for the state board exam, called the NCLEX. It's the test that is talked about constantly and the test for which requires my brain to pull information from the past 5 years of school and put it all together to form correct answer after answer. The cumulative and progressive test is a maximum of 265 questions and you are allotted 6 hours to take it in. After you answer each question, the following question is chosen based on how you answered the previous. It is designed to determine your weaknesses and drill you on them before making a decision, with 95% accuracy, as to whether or not you are a competent nurse. The test has the ability to turn off after a minimum of 75 questions, if the computer can make that accurate assessment of your abilities (or inabilities). If you fail, you have to wait 45 days and repay the hefty fee to retake the test. Not fun. Oh yea, and did I mention, you can't practice nursing without passing, of course! No pressure.

I scheduled my test date for August 18, the earliest date available once they completed all my paperwork. I put off studying until I couldn't put it off anymore. As the test date drew near, my nerves began to get to me. I contemplated rescheduling the date, but knowing myself too well, I knew I'd just allow myself to procrastinate until a further date, only to experience the same nerves all over again.

The day finally arrived and as I walked into the testing center, it really sunk in what a big deal this test was. Everyone waiting to go in looked so calm and I couldn't figure out why. I wondered if I was giving off that same aura. When it was my turn, I was fingerprinted, photographed, ID's checked and signatures verified and compared. I wasn't allowed to take anything into the testing center with me, nothing. They even made me empty out my pockets to put all contents into a locker. Once I was cleared, I moved on to the next associate who then fingerprinted me again, verified my picture, explained that I would be video and audio recorded, then led me to my seat. Heart was pounding and hands were sweating at this point. I took the test and answered the questions to the best of my ability, feeling unsure of my answers more often than sure. When I got to question number 75, I answered, clicked next and then the screen turned blue. Just as quickly, a message popped up that thanked me for taking the NCLEX and that I was done. Did I pass or did I fail? The answer would have to wait, because they most certainly don't let you know immediately. The test goes on to be reviewed twice before results are released.


A mere 24 hours later, I was elated to see my name on the Ohio Board of Nursing website with the words "active" and my RN license number next to it. It's official! I'm a real live Registered Nurse!


And much to my surprise, I received THIS in the mail the next day!

My nursing license!

No comments: