Madison sat on Santa's lap for the second time this season, yesterday. This isn't strange for Madison as I think she sat on his lap like 7 times last December. There was only one problem this time. We were at a different mall than last week. Different mall = different Santa.
As we approached Santa's chair, I watched the look on Madison's face turn from pure, innocent excitement to confused hesitancy. She walked up slowly with 1/4 of the gusto she did last week. She wasn't impressed. She didn't even make eye contact with him. And while Nathan had no problem sitting on Santa's lap last week, he was completely stuck to the side of my leg, never taking an eye off "that man in the chair." He wouldn't even approach him when Santa offered him a chocolate!
Watching Madison from the side, I found it to be pretty funny. But the conversations that developed throughout the day, kind of made me sad! I don't like that she's figuring out things she shouldn't be figuring out so early. Randomly for the next 8 hours of the day, Madison asked repeatedly if he was the real Santa. If he's not the real Santa, why is he dressed up like him? Why isn't the real Santa there? Does Santa have helpers like him on Christmas night, too? Where IS the real Santa then? And the kicker, and the best part of her comments came at bedtime last night. She brought him up one last time, discussing with me how she didn't want to see THAT Santa again, because he's not the real one. She continued on, then paused deep in thought. Then she looked up at me, with a scrunched up and totally disgusted look on her face and said, "I sat on his lap!" as if she commited a terrible sin or betrayed the real Santa. I left the room holding in my laughter, but wondering what's next?
Oftentimes when she's pondering and asking all these questions, I try to change the subject, but I can tell she continues to ponder. I want her to feel comfortable and know it's okay to ask me anything, but at the same time, I don't want to discuss this...not now. I can only make up so many stories!
This falls into the same category as when she asks me a million questions about death and dying whenever we pass a cemetary. Yesterday a funeral was going on and she began her 101 questions. Why do we die? What happens to our body when we die? How do we know to go to that spot when we die? (referring to a grave) Does everyone get buried? Ok, sorry, not discussing cremation with my 4 year old! Again, I use tactics of distraction, but is that right?
I guess all parents expect they have to broach these topics at some point, but come on, I thought I'd have a few more years!
1 comment:
Oh my goodness, you had me cracking up. I think it's WONDERFUL that she asks so many questions. I wish I could get Lily to ask me even one! I know what you mean, though, wow...you have one smart little girl and so curious. You are in such a difficult position, to keep the magic and innocence alive, while being truthful with your inquisitive little sweetheart.
Post a Comment