Wednesday, September 24, 2008

A whole different world

Growing up in the epitomy of suburbia in Sandy, Utah, I never had a worry in the world. I lived in a gated community amongst swarms of mormon friends. The goal of my every day was to play, and play hard. Weekends and summers were spent outside with friends, morning till night. The biggest challenge I faced was getting to one of "the friends" before anyone else. You see, there were three of us that grew up together. Myself, Hayley and Jamie. But the problem was...there were THREE of us. Everyone is familiar with 'two's company, three's a crowd,' right? We were no different. And whomever was the third to arrive at the scene, was the outsider for the day. I wish all my wishes that THAT could be the biggest challenge for my kids as well.

I'm afraid we are in an entirely different world today.

Madison was on a playdate last week with a close and trusted girlfriend. She came home and later told me that a little boy (5 years old) that they played with told them on the swingset that "a boy sucked on his penis."

"Isn't that gross mommy?"

Um yes, that's gross, my sweetheart. Can you imagine the conversation that was required following that kind of comment?? And she's how old?

Rest assured, a phone call was quickly made to the mother of that boy. Sadly enough, a 10 year old boy in their neighborhood was to blame. Mind you, this neighborhood they live in is comprised of $300-$400K houses....so, a nice area. Who would ever in a million years suspect such a thing? Seriously. So scary.

So this is to all the mommy's out there of girls AND boys. It's cliche to say, but you can never be too safe. Perhaps if the mother of the 5 year old had spoken to her son about not letting other people touch/see his private parts, this could have been avoided. I'm not blaming her, though, because I certainly hadn't had that talk with Madison either. But I can guarantee you, she knows now!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you told this to your loyal readers...you really can never be too safe!! Tell Madison that I love her!!