Wednesday, August 27, 2008

I just don't want to forget these things!

So today was garbage day, which in Nathan's world is a big deal. Why, you ask? Because he gets to see TWO big trucks right in front of his very own house! We happened to be outside when the garbage truck came by and Nathan was absolutely mesmerized by the truck and its' workers. The friendly "refuse collectors" were quick to wave and say hello to the little boy staring and pointing at them. Nathan's response? A lift of his foot and one word, "shoes."

Let me explain...I've noticed in the last few weeks, when a strange face comes up to Nathan to say hello, he becomes rather shy and automatically tries to avert their attention away from his eyes. How does he do this, you ask? He gets them to look at his shoes, but of course! It really is the cutest thing ever, and it's one of those things I don't want to forget! Without a doubt, everytime, he will lift up his leg and point to his foot while saying "shoes" so they will look away from him and down towards his feet. Perhaps he is using it as an ice-breaker? I don't know. But today when the insanely loud garbage truck growled in front of our house, and Nathan's response to their hello was a very quiet "shoes", I actually felt bad for the little guy! I thought there was NO way they would hear his attempts at conversing with them. Surprisingly, the garbage man either heard or saw him pointing and lifting his foot, and yelled out, "I like your shoes! Those are cool!" Made.his.day.

On a similar note, a couple weeks ago, the mail lady drove past our house and saw Nathan pointing and staring (yes, he does that a lot) and waved and shouted, "Hi, buddy!" as she continued on down the road. Well! Now, everytime we see a mailtruck, Nathan waves and shouts "Hi, buddy." We were outside yesterday when she drove by again and I had to tell her about how Nathan talks about her all the time. What did Nathan do as soon as she started talking to him? You got it...he lifted his foot, pointed and said, "Shoes." It was pretty funny when he lifted his bare little foot to show her his 'shoes'!! Oops!

No comments: