Sunday, June 14, 2009

A little va-cay

Our wonderful friends, Brent and Traci, invited us to join them at a resort in Virginia for a week of R&R. We couldn't pass up the offer seeing as we haven't been on a vacation in 3 years!!!! Yes, I said 3 years. Our annual trip to Naples, Florida has been on hold for the past 3 springs due to different circumstances (new baby, school, etc) so we've been hurtin' to get away! So off we went! It was our first car trip with the kids so I was a little nervous as to how it would go, but I have to say they tolerated it quite well. We left on a Saturday night at midnight, with high hopes that the kids would sleep the whole 7 hour drive. NOTSOMUCH. A helpful hint: waking kids up in the middle of the night and throwing them into an unfamiliar situation, albeit dark, does NOT aide in any efforts whatsoever for them to sleep a full nights sleep. Madison slept for a few hours, but Nathan literally stayed awake, bug-eyed in the back seat for FIVE hours. Everytime I looked backward into the silence, there he was looking back at me. Agh! Oh, and I can't forget to mention that our "7 hour drive" actually turned into more than 9 hours thanks to a winding, dark and foggy mountain road. Nonetheless, we arrived, all slightly grumpy from the long night, but safely. We spent the next few days just relaxing, swimming, playing putt-putt golf, driving go-carts, and eating ice cream. The drive back was much more successful. This time we left at 7 pm, let the kids watch a movie and then they both fell asleep for the remainder of the ride home, of which ended up being less than 7 hours thanks to a new route. We could've stayed longer, but I had to be back for pinning and graduation at the end of the week. It was a good time and it was nice to get away, even if just for a few days.

The first night there, checking out our HUGE jacuzzi tub.


Nathan sporting his cool sun hat.

Madison perfected the underwater dive for toys while there. She rocks!
Hanging out and being silly at the condo. Check out that face he gave me for the camera!

Blink your eyes and Nathan will find trouble. He put the helmet on and climbed on the bike on his own doing!

Hot stuff thinking he is swimming by himself.

Family pic...boy, do I miss mountains!

Madison and I driving the go-carts.

Swimming with daddy...probably our only time to get the man to the pool this summer!

Packing up...time to head home!


2 comments:

KJH said...

Looks like so much fun! Love the family picture with the beautiful background. You should have kept on driving down my way to SC.

Jen said...

What a fun trip! I'm glad you got to getaway for a little while, after all the hard work you and Scott put in these last few years getting degrees you guys totally deserve the escape! Hopefully the getaways can become more regular now!!!