Friday, January 16, 2009

The traumatic 5 year check up

Madison had her 5 year check up on Wednesday afternoon, the day of a pretty nasty snow storm. Poor girl has been dreading the day as mommy tried to prepare her for what was to come. The appointment itself went well. Madison continues to grow like a weed, despite rumors that she should've slowed down by now. According to the doctor and growth charts, she is the height and weight of a 6 year old! As soon as he entered the room, she explained to him that she's already lost 3 teeth, and that all happened before she was five. He thought it was funny and commented that, by the books, she shouldn't be losing her teeth yet. Then he took a look in her mouth and noticed that all four of her 6 year molars are already through!!! No wonder she's recently complained of her mouth hurting...ouch! Poor girl was teething!!

So then came then shots. As soon as the nurse entered the room, Madison practically started hyperventilating. She was so afraid of the four needles about to enter her leg. I couldn't even calm her down long enough to hear what the nurse had to say about the vaccinations she was receiving. When it came down to it, I had to physically hold her down while the shots were administered. It was awful. Thank goodness she's only 5 once!

At her request, we braved the snow storm against advice to stay off roads, to go get ICE CREAM!! Yes, ice cream. I thought we would be the only crazy ones out to get ice cream in that weather, but we weren't. Does it matter that most of the other customers arrived by sled? Oh well, it made her happy, and so therefore, it was worth it!

2 comments:

Jen said...

I'm soooo glad this is behind them! She's a BRAVE girl and she earned that ice cream! I hope it was delicious!

KJH said...

Awww, poor thing, I'm glad it's over for her too. SC does the "four at 4", so Lily had to hurry up and get hers, right after we moved here so she could be cleared to enter school. Brennan just got his mega dose in November, so whew...both are done. That's hilarious about ice cream, but she totally deserved it!