I've officially joined it.
I started last Monday, the 14th. It was a week full of in-class orientation and lectures. 8 1/2 hours of lectures each day. Phew, glad that's over! This week is only half days of in-class computer and equiptment training. Much more fun! I start orientation on my unit next week, starting out big at 3-12 hour shifts in a row. Yikes! I will be on a days rotation orientation for 8 weeks, then rotate to nights for 4 orientation weeks, 2 final weeks of being observed, then officially January 5, 2010, I will finally be on my own. Long training and orientation, huh? I'd say so!
So my feelings of suddenly not being a stay at home mom? Mixed. I'm SO excited to finally be a nurse...it's been a long time coming! But, of course my priority in life are my children and it is very weird to be away from them so frequently. I don't like not being here when they wake up in the morning, not being able to walk Madison to school, not hearing about her day when she gets home (because let's face it, she's forgotten the details by the time I get home!), etc. It's very weird not really knowing what my kids did all day long and sometimes if I let myself think about it too much, I get teary eyed about it. I think it will be better when I'm on nights because I'll be able to see them more often. I hope I still feel that way when I'm giving up 3 nights a week of sleep!
3 comments:
I can only imagine how hard this is for you, but like you said, what an amazing accomplishment! Your kids will admire and look up to you, that much more now and everyone in your life is so proud of you. And your future patients will especially be lucky to have you as their RN!
You'll get into the swing of working in no time. You're going to LOVE what you're doing and that's going to make it totally worth it. As a night shift nurse you're going to have a perfect schedule that will allow you to barely miss a thing with the kiddos. Give it some time, I'm certain you're going to find that working part-time is a pretty good gig once you get you get through with your initial training and are on the floor on your own!
Diddo on what the other girls said. Your schedule really will be perfect once all of the other is done. Plus you love the work. The best of the working and mommy world.
Post a Comment